When we talk about the partitioning of a hard drive, what we are talking about is dividing the hard disk into two parts.
This partitioning comes with a lot of benefits to the owner of the computer. When you partition the hard drive, it helps you to back up some important files on your computer on one part of the drive while the other part can be used for storing Windows files temporarily as well as installed programs.
When partitioning your drive, you can go about it in two ways. You can choose to use the ‘Windows Disk Management Tool’ or you can use a third-party app to carry the partitioning out.
Some of these third-party apps are Easeus Partition Master, GParted, or Mini Tool Partition.
However, we recommend that you use the Windows partition tool instead of a third-party app.
Table of Contents
How To Partition Your Windows 10 Hard Drive Using Windows Tools
Follow the steps below to partition your hard drive using the Windows tools. The steps described below can be used to partition for Windows 10, 8, and 7.
- Click on the file explorer on the taskbar
- Click on ‘this PC’ which can be found on the left navigation panel
- From the menu that appears, click on ‘manage’ to open the computer management window
- Click on ‘Disk management
- Now right-click on the disk that you want to partition
- Choose the shrink volume from the drop-down menu
- Input the amount of space that you want to shrink or partition in MB
- Click on ‘shrink’ and then wait as Windows create the partition
- After the partition has been completed, you will be able to see the new unallocated space
- Right-click on the unallocated space and then choose ‘new simple velum’ from the menu that drops down.
- Follow the instructions until the new volume is created
After the creation is complete, your hard drive will now have a new partition. You can use that to back up your most needed files
Using Third-Party Apps
You can also use third-party apps to carry out the partition although we do not recommend it.
You can use third-party apps like Easeus partition manager, GParted, or many others out there that you can get your hands on and use.
These apps can be used to create the hard drive partition we would advise that you make use of the Windows partition manager instead since it was created as a feature in the computer specifically for the purpose.
Benefits Of Creating A Partition
- Keeps your important files safe
- Allows for easy re-installation of Windows operating systems
- Can install and run multiple operating systems on the computer easily without many fuses
- Simple backups
- Improves PC security
As you can see from the article, creating a partition is not something that requires a huge amount of effort at all. Creating a partition helps you o keep your most important files safe and secured.
Check out our recent articles:
- How to spot a fake Android phone
- How to get a loan over GHS 1,000 in Ghana
- How to know if someone is spying on your phone
- All the Samsung S models we have so far
- Everything you need to know about China Mall