By now, you must have known that one of the messaging apps in the world that is gaining steady popularity is Telegram.
Telegram is now a direct rival to WhatsApp due to the numerous amazing and privacy-focused features that come with it.
Almost all messaging apps are primarily used on mobile devices. However, Telegram can be used on your desktop and laptop computers as well.
In today’s article, I am going to show you how you can use Telegram on your computer or laptop. Using your messaging app on your computer is normally convenient for people who work with their computers a lot and cannot be distracted by having to take up their smartphones once in a while to reply to messages.
They just reply to the messages directly on the computer. Let us now get down to business.
How To Set Telegram Up On Your Computer
You can download an official telegram app for your computer from the Telegram website. there is also another version that works on your browser and will not require any installation processes as well as an extension from Microsoft Edge and google chrome.
However, I would recommend that you download the official desktop app instead of using the web-based Telegram apps. To do this, please follow the steps below.
- Go to the Telegram website which is http://www.telegram.org
- On the website, click on ‘get Telegram for windows’. The windows app file will be downloaded
- Install the app on your computer. You will find the setup file in your ‘downloads’ folder on your computer. The app will launch once the installation is complete.
- Open the Telegram app and then click on start messaging
- You can also scan a code if you are already having Telegram on your smartphone
If you do not already use Telegram on your smartphone, then you will have to log in with your phone number on the computer.
How To Log In With Your Phone Number On The Computer
Below is how to get the QR code for you to scan to link your smartphone Telegram app to your computer.
- Open the Telegram app
- Tap on the menu. The three-line menu can be located in the top left corner
- Now tap on the ‘settings’ option
- Click on the device and then tap on ‘scan QR code’
Now tap on the R code button on your phone and then hold it up to your computer with the phone camera aligned perfected on the code showing on the computer. The two will then get linked instantly and all your Telegram phone messages will appear on the computer app. However, if you do not want to use the QR code method, you just have to log in with a phone number. Here is how to do that.
How To Log In To Telegram With Your Phone Number
- On the setup screen, type in your phone number
- Click on ‘next’
- A code will be sent to the number that was given. Type that code on the app
The app will then log in with all your messages already intact.
So that is how you can use the Telegram app on your computer device. As you can see, Telegram on the desktop seems to work a bit differently from the WhatsApp web. With WhatsApp, you can use the QR code and your smartphone must be on WhatsApp that during that WhatsApp web is used on your computer.
Telegram seems to be different as you can use your phone number to log in and use the app.
So that is all that today’s article is about. make sure to check out our other articles on Telegram and other topics.