With the invention of mobile money services such as MTN mobile money, AirtelTigo money, and Vodafone cash, now sending and receiving money has become very easy.
Thanks to mobile money, now you can sit in the comfort of your room and pay fees, bills, and many more.
The mobile money service was launched ten years ago, and it has been widely adopted in Ghana and Africa as a whole.
To use mobile money, one has to register with his mobile number, and when they want to send money, the user has to be a mobile money registered user.
Although the platform helped Ghanaians, people were still finding it difficult in some ways, and one of them was not being able to get physical cash when merchants were closed.
People find it difficult to receive money when one is not registered since users can only send the funds to a registered mobile money user.
Luckily these telcos have made it easy for people that are not registered to receive a token and use it to withdraw the money from any supported bank that supports Cardless withdrawal.
With a mobile money token, one can withdraw money from any ATM on any day.
This has made it easy for people who need money at night when all merchants have closed.
It will also make sending money to someone when they have not registered for the mobile money service.
Maybe you are using MTN mobile money AirtelTigo or Vodafone Cash, and you want to send money to someone who is not a registered user.
You will have to generate a mobile money token for this person, and then they will use that token to withdraw the money.
And in this article, I am going to take you through:
- How to generate MTN Mobile Money token
- How to generate Vodafone Cash token
- How to generate AirtelTigo token
So without wasting much time, let’s dive in.
How To Generate MTN Mobile Money Token
- On your phone, dial *511#
- Enter your four Digit Secret Code
- Please enter the amount you want to generate the token for (it should be from GHS5 to GHS 400)
- You will receive a pop-up. Type in your PIN to confirm the transaction.
If you don’t receive a pop-up, then you will have to confirm the transaction yourself on ‘My Approvals’ to do this:
- Dial *170 #
- Select 6: My Wallet
- Enter 3: My Approvals,
- Type in your PIN. You will then see all your pending transactions waiting for approval.
How To Generate Vodafone Cash Token/Voucher
- Dial *110#
- Select 4: Make Payments
- Choose 4: Generate Voucher
- Now, enter your PIN to confirm the transaction
- You will then be sent the six-digit token code through SMS
How To Generate AirtelTigo Token
- Dial *500#
- Select 5: Withdraw Money
- Type in 2: From ATM
- Enter the Amount you want
- Type in your PIN
- Enter a reference number
- Relax and wait for your six-digit token
If you are not mobile money registered user and someone sends you a token, you must visit the nearest bank that supports Cashless Withdrawal and withdraw the money using the token.
We have a step-by-step guide on withdrawing MTN mobile money from ATMs.
Although this article covers withdrawing MTN mobile money from ATM by generating a token and then exchanging it for cash, you can use it to withdraw the Vodafone cash token and the same for AirtelTigo cash token.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the shortcode to generate MTN mobile money token?
Dial *511# to generate MTN mobile money token
- What is the shortcode to generate the AirtelTigo Cash token?
Dial *500# to generate MTN mobile money token
- What is the shortcode to generate the Vodafone Cash token?
Dial *110# to generate Vodafone Cash token/voucher
If you want to send money to someone who is not having a mobile money account, all you have to do is generate a token for that person, and the receiver can withdraw it from any ATM available to them.
Now you don’t have to worry when someone wants to send you money, and you don’t have a mobile money account. The person can generate a token for you, and all you have to do is visit the nearest bank ATM that supports cashless withdrawal and withdraw the money.