With the advent of the internet in Ghana, a lot of things can now be done over the internet. People do not have to have the comfort of their homes anymore.
One of the things that have benefited from the internet is the registration of several government-controlled offices.
People can now register for their birth certificates online through an eService portal that has been designated for that purpose.
In today’s, we will be taking you through the steps through which you can register for a birth certificate from the internet.
The birth certificate is one of the most important documents that a person needs when he or she is applying for a Ghanaian passport whether you register for the passport online or offline.
One way through which you can get the biometric birth certificate is by registering for it online.
Table of Contents
What Is A Birth Certificate?
A birth certificate is a document that is issued officially by the government that records the birth of a person and it is printed on security paper. It normally features a raised and multicolored seal.
The establishment in charge of the birth certificate in Ghana was opened in 1965 as a branch of the local government and rural development.
Its job is to register the births and deaths system in Ghana.
Documents Needed To Apply For Birth Certificate
When applying for the birth certificate just like any other registration process out there, you will need to provide some information that helps to verify your identity as well as other things about you.
You will need to scan the needed documents before they can be uploaded during the registration process. Below are the documents that you will need to register.
- Baptismal certificate
- Clinical weighing or birth card
- Old birth certificate
- Affidavit from a parent for those below 18 years
How To Apply For The Ghanaian Birth Certificate
- You will have to visit the Ghana eServices website which is eservices.gov.gh
- On the top left side of the page that comes, click on BDR- apply for birth certificate
- On the page that comes next, click the ‘register’ link
- On the next page, fill out the form that comes with the relevant answers. Some of the questions asked in the form will be:First name, Last name, Gender, Age group, Country of residence, City, Mobile number, Education, Occupation, The primary email address that you personally use
- After you have finished answering the registration form, you will receive a confirmation in your email address
- Click on the confirmation link found in the email to confirm the eservices registration
- Now go back to the service’s website again and then click on ‘apply for birth certificate’
- Make sure to read the instructions that appear very well and click on ‘new applicant’ to get started
- Fill in the forms that will follow and then upload the needed documents that have been scanned
- Payment options will then be shown to you. Choose myghpay by GT bank to make your payment on the e-payment platform
The registration will cost the applicant GHS 50 to apply for the Ghanaian biometric birth certificate online. Applying for the certificate physically at your local birth and death office will also cost the same GHS 50.
After everything has been done, the new birth certificate would be ready for you to collect in a space of 14 days.
Be careful not to fall victim to fraudsters who may parade themselves as an agent of the birth and death registry
Need To Know Facts When Applying For A Birth Certificate
- Birth certificates in Ghana are not instantly processed. It can take a month before you can receive your birth certificate.
- You can get your birth certificate by applying for it online or by going to the office of your local government.
- The birth certificate is not free. It costs GHS 50 when you apply for it. Anyone that says they will get it to you for free is certainly lying
The steps above are the ways through which one can apply for the Ghanaian birth certificate online.
We hope that those of you who have to wait for something like this have now been enlightened.