When you insert an external USB device into your computer, it is detected automatically by windows operating systems the moment they are connected.
On windows 10, you are allowed to customize how the OS interacts with the USB when it is inserted. This is the feature that is known as ‘autoplay’ where you can set the default actions of your various USB drive, memory cards, and other media that you connect to your computer.
This same feature can also be found on the Windows 11 operating system. However, in windows 11, it is hidden inside the settings so you will have to bring it out yourself. That is why this article is here to show you just how you can bring the ‘autoplay’ feature out to work in windows 11.
Follow the steps in this article to see how you can configure the ‘autoplay feature in your windows 11 machine.
How To Configure The ‘Autoplay’ Feature In Windows 11
The steps below will show you how to configure the ‘autoplay’ feature on windows 11. You will also see how to disable the feature if you do not want it to be working automatically. Let us get started.
- Click on the windows start button
- Go to settings. You can get here by using the shortcut ‘windows key + I’
- Now, click on ‘Bluetooth and devices’
- Click on ‘autoplay’. It can be located on the right pane
- If you want to turn off the ‘autoplay’ feature, just toggle under ‘use autoplay for all media and devices to off
- You can also configure that action of the ‘autoplay’ feature. This can be done by going to the ‘choose autoplay defaults’ section
- Look under ‘removable drive’ and you will see several options like ‘configure storage settings’ ‘open folders to view files, ‘take no actions’, and ‘ask me every time. Choose the option that you prefer
- Under the ‘memory card’ section, there will be options like ‘import photos and videos, ‘play media files’, ‘take no action’, ‘ask me every time, ‘open folder to view files. Here too, you will have to choose the option you prefer
So that is all done. You have just configured the autoplay feature on your Windows 11 machine. The options you choose will be put into effect every time you insert a USB device into the computer. You can change the options again if you like just by following the same steps as you see here.